What's it all about?

It's a little about me and my five sugar cubes.
Never a dull moment.
Sit down, buckle up and enjoy the ride....



Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Grandparents

My Dad and Donna were out here for a long weekend.. and it was so hard to see them leave. I exhausted myself trying to convince them to stay.. They were probably happy to go just so they didn't have to hear my begging anymore. Oh what I wouldn't give for them to live close...

I love Love LOVE to hear my kids say "Grandma" and "Grandpa". It's so sweet. I grew up with my grandparents- and have a very special relationship with them. My grandma is now gone, but lives forever in my heart, and my grandpa is the most incredible man I know. He's my #1.. He was the first one to hold me when I was born, and I absolutely adore him. I think there is a special bond between grandparents and grandchildren. I once heard that the reason that grandparents and grandchildren get along so well, is because they have a common enemy.. So true. I can talk to my grandpa about anything (aka "my mother") and he gets it without really having to say much at all.

I don't really think anyone has a vision about parents in a "grandparent" role until the time comes. You never really know how they will be. My dad is very mechanically minded, engineer-type, linear sequential thinker- NOT the mushiest guy around, yet I can see he loves my babies and gets all warm and fuzzy when he sees them and their antics. It warms my heart. Even when he was on the phone with my Nana, and Cole decided to take his diaper off and poo on the ground, then pick some up and try to "share" with him, he might have hollered "911!" to Donna for help, but he still wasn't turned off...He was loving on Cole a few minutes later (after he was cleaned up by Donna, of course). I never thought he could be the kind of grandpa that he is.. but he's turned out to be one of the best.   Of course Donna is such an awesome grandma. Her world stops when she gets around the kiddos. She makes time for each one, individually and together- endures countless reruns of "Cars", stays up late for movie night, makes snacks, lunches, cleans up poo, wipes noses, changes diapers, folds laundry... and does it ALL with a smile on her face and not one single complaint.. She was born to be a grandma and my kids are so lucky to have her. Mike and I are also lucky to have her.. and my Dad..
I will NOT stop trying to convince them to come to the desert.. I'm not asking for full custody, I'm willing to share them for part of the year with my step-sis Jennifer. I'm not greedy, and it's not for me- it's for the kids.. (okay, so maybe it's a LITTLE for me)..

   

No comments:

Post a Comment